Happy Friday! We now have some links to city documents. But wait, there’s more! We have, yes, a live webcam where you, the dear reader, will be able to watch the (front half) of the house get built (hopefully!). Let me know if anything doesn’t work for you (the contact form does!) and have a great weekend in the meantime.
So we’ve been meeting with SWBR weekly for almost a month now. Information should be coming fast and furious in the near future. In fact, I will be in Rochester in a little more than a week busily handling tile. Hopefully I will be able to get a bunch of photos and post information about finishes then. In the meantime, hang tight, and know that we’re still on track to break ground in the spring. Stay well.
Hey all – I’ve been meaning to post this for a month, but you know, things tend to get away from me. We’ve paused everything until Mid August so that our design timeline better aligns to our funding timeline (which is to say we don’t unintentionally jerk around our architects for 2 months more than we’re paying). We resume design activities mid-August, and then it will hopefully be non-stop news through design, funding, and construction starting next spring. We can’t wait, but until mid-August, we shall.
The fourth post about the house is up on RochesterSubway.com here.
As of last night, we’ve been approved by the Rochester Preservation Board! Thank you to everyone for your support. We just need to wait for the final report/certificate of appropriateness to see if there are any final changes (color, windows, roof materials) that we need to make. Next up: design and engineering.
Edit: The Preservation Board’s formal findings can be found here (warning: PDF).
So I’ve been wanting to do a post for a while about how our design changed from our initial zoning and preservation hearings to the ones taking place this year, but I just haven’t had a chance. Well that all changes here! There were three ‘substantial’ changes to the plans from the initial go around to now. They were, in no particular order: the siting of the carriage house, the roof lines of the entire project, and the front porch.
In the initial plans, we placed the carriage house 5 ft from the rear of the property line (fire codes, if you are interested) and had the third parking space between the house and the carriage house. In the revised plans, we’ve moved the carriage house off the property line by 9 feet, and put the parking space behind the garage. This makes the ‘lost space’ behind the carriage house much more useful while giving us additional green space between the two buildings.
There were a trio changes to the roof lines. The angles of all of the roofs were normalized. Then the roof line was brought down slightly on the main house to better meet the windows on the second floor. Finally, the triangular window was better framed and carried over to the carriage house as a unifying design cue. We believe these changes add good visual continuity to the house and more than make up for the slight loss in usable attic space.
We’ve been spooling through front porch designs since the very beginning, but we think the one we’ve settled on here does a better job of mirroring the columned front porches in the neighborhood while still maintaining the modern interpretation we’ve pursued for the house.
Just a reminder that we are on the agenda for 3/2/16 at the Preservation Board, and I should have updates soon after.
We did it! Thank you to the architects for your hard work, to the City of Rochester for having such a functional process, and to everyone else for your support. Next up: Preservation.
Good morning all! Hope your holiday season has been merry so far. We will be at the ZBA on 1/21/16 for round two. We’ve made a number of tweaks to the layout, and we hope everyone likes them. I will be posting about them at length here in the next week or so. If and when we receive zoning approval, look for a larger, more comprehensive post to appear over at rocsubway. Stay tuned.
So we’ve now had our first ZBA and Preservation hearings. They went well.
I want to thank everyone from the community who came out for and against the project. It’s good to be involved no matter your position. I also want to thank the board members in attendance at each meeting for their hard work. We’ve received a variety of feedback regarding potential changes to the house, and we’ll be spending the next weeks and months modifying our design.
I have a few other posts that will bubble up in the interim. Even so, I can’t wait to share updated designs as soon as I have them. Hang tight.
We had the hearing Thursday morning. We did not get a yes, but we also did not get a no. The logistics of only have 4 of 7 board members created a challenge. We will be implementing a few light redesigns, as well as meeting with preservation and pursuing their approval. We expect to be back before the ZBA in April or May. I’d like to thank all of the concerned neighbors who care enough about Corn Hill to have come out.