The fourth post about the house is up on RochesterSubway.com here.
As of last night, we’ve been approved by the Rochester Preservation Board! Thank you to everyone for your support. We just need to wait for the final report/certificate of appropriateness to see if there are any final changes (color, windows, roof materials) that we need to make. Next up: design and engineering.
Edit: The Preservation Board’s formal findings can be found here (warning: PDF).
So I’ve been wanting to do a post for a while about how our design changed from our initial zoning and preservation hearings to the ones taking place this year, but I just haven’t had a chance. Well that all changes here! There were three ‘substantial’ changes to the plans from the initial go around to now. They were, in no particular order: the siting of the carriage house, the roof lines of the entire project, and the front porch.
In the initial plans, we placed the carriage house 5 ft from the rear of the property line (fire codes, if you are interested) and had the third parking space between the house and the carriage house. In the revised plans, we’ve moved the carriage house off the property line by 9 feet, and put the parking space behind the garage. This makes the ‘lost space’ behind the carriage house much more useful while giving us additional green space between the two buildings.
There were a trio changes to the roof lines. The angles of all of the roofs were normalized. Then the roof line was brought down slightly on the main house to better meet the windows on the second floor. Finally, the triangular window was better framed and carried over to the carriage house as a unifying design cue. We believe these changes add good visual continuity to the house and more than make up for the slight loss in usable attic space.
We’ve been spooling through front porch designs since the very beginning, but we think the one we’ve settled on here does a better job of mirroring the columned front porches in the neighborhood while still maintaining the modern interpretation we’ve pursued for the house.
Just a reminder that we are on the agenda for 3/2/16 at the Preservation Board, and I should have updates soon after.
So we’ve now had our first ZBA and Preservation hearings. They went well.
I want to thank everyone from the community who came out for and against the project. It’s good to be involved no matter your position. I also want to thank the board members in attendance at each meeting for their hard work. We’ve received a variety of feedback regarding potential changes to the house, and we’ll be spending the next weeks and months modifying our design.
I have a few other posts that will bubble up in the interim. Even so, I can’t wait to share updated designs as soon as I have them. Hang tight.
EDIT: We are 8th on the zoning agenda, which means we go on at 11:30 AM on 10/22. Would love to see you there.
This is it folks! We’re doing this. The agenda(s) aren’t yet posted on the city website, but we’ll be spending the evening of Thursday, October 22nd with the Zoning Board of Appeals and Wednesday, November 4th with the Preservation Board. Anyone reading this is cordially invited to join, whether you support our project or not (not that I have to invite you – it’s public, but I’d love to see a good turn out for what I selfishly/biased-ly consider a really special project in the city). As the week goes on, I’ll post about the variances we’re requesting as well as some images of the house and the final floor plans for the house portion, which I’ve not posted previously.
Also, big thanks for Luca (in the photo), who helped to get the signs up for the forthcoming hearings. Great work team!